Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Over the Line

Here

A scene veteran, Evan Bailey has played with Plunge, Fever Pitch, The Flats, Itch House, Spritely, and, for more than a decade, with Second Story Man. He steps out as a solo act Friday night at the Highlands North End Café at 10 p.m., sharing the bill with Cory Wayne, formerly of Nerves Junior.

LEO: How many times have you performed as Piñata Me? Why so infrequent?

Evan Bailey: Probably a handful of times, if I had six fingers. That really is the $64,000 question. Considering music is my passion and what I’m best at, you’d think I would be playing out a lot more. I’m very easily distracted by other things in my life, therefore the music has often taken a back seat. With that being said, I’m on a good musical path right now and don’t plan to let up!

LEO: Will you be making a Piñata Me full-length?

EB: A Piñata Me full-length is imminent and absolutely necessary. I often think of the quote, “Don’t die with your music still inside you,” by Oliver Wendell Holmes. If I’m lacking motivation, these precious words usually get me going.

LEO: What inspires you to write songs?

EB: Inspiration is everywhere, especially in vocal melodies. Once I have something good, I have to finish it, even if I don’t really have much to say.

LEO: What’s up with Second Story Man?

EB: Second Story Man is slowly but surely in the resurrection phase right now. We’re trying to figure out what we’re gonna do next. We’re kind of assigning each other projects right now. Like, since the last song we worked on was all over the place with mixed meters and odd time signatures, the next song we work on has to be no more than three chords and in 4/4.

LEO: What’s your favorite joke?

EB: My favorite joke is probably my favorite because it’s the only one I have memorized. It goes a little something like this: How many tennis players does it take to screw in a light bulb? The bulb wasn’t out, it was IN!

c. 2012 LEO Weekly

No comments: